Thursday, March 16, 2006

Am I ever going to Arrive?

After a month of training in Toronto and visiting my parents and friends in Vancouver for two weeks, it was finally time to get on the plane and take off to Africa. Ready to start this adventure with three bags on my shoulders, said goodbye to my teary eyed family at Vancouver Airport. Then came boarding time and I was finally on the plane which would take me to Houston to get on another plane to Paris and another one to Ouagadougou (for those of you who have never heard of this destination, it is the capital of country Burkina Faso in West Africa). All set to go except two hours later we were still sitting on the ground…. Frustrated passengers were demanding an answer to why we had not left the airport yet and finally after two hours this is what we were told: ``technical problem with the engine. We must evacuate the plane and wait till the issue is resolved``. Oh boy, I was thinking in my head, what a great start!!

Let me condense the story by telling you that the engine was only fixed 6 hours later which caused me to miss all connecting flights (Vancouver-Houston, Houston-Paris, Paris-Ouagadougou) and after waiting in the airport all day long I was sent back home to figure out a new itinerary.

Two days later, after being on the phone almost all day long trying to explain the situation to customer service of all airlines in the world and trying to arrange a new travel plan, I was again at the airport waiting for the plane to take off. Fortunately, there was no more technical problems and I was on my way to Africa for real this time….

Six hours to get to Houston, few hours of waiting time in Houston, nine hours of flight time to Paris and a night of sleep at Orly Airport in Paris, it was finally time for the last take off, five more hours from Paris to Ouagadougou. This is definitely the longest I have had to wait to get to the final destination. Total time of flight: 20hours, Total waiting time: 14hours + two days of delay in Vancouver!!

Local time 2:15pm, temperature 34 degrees, welcome to Ouagadougou, says the flight attendant. Finally I arrived!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home