Thursday, March 16, 2006

My first impressions of Ouagadougou

As Guillaume puts it: It`s chaos!
So I am going to start with the not so impressive side of where I currently live and then will end the note with the good part!
Streets are jammed with pedestrians, cars, motors and bikes all sharing the same path. I am not really sure if there are any driving rules as no body follows light colours! Being white, you`re most likely to be picked on by venders who approach you and try to sell their products (of course three times the actual price). You will also get called frequently ``Nasara, vienne ici!``, nasara meaning white person in local language, local language being More. Not to say that they mean any harm. They`re mostly curious and are amuzed by teasing the white person walking on the street. The air is hot, dry and polluted but eventually you will get used to it. In fact, you`ll get used to what what I’ve mentioned as downside of living in this city. However, what I may have difficulty getting accustomed to is the level of poverty that is so evident in the area. Knowing that majority of the kids you will pass by on the street are hungry, majority of the younger groups have no opportunities such as the ones I have, majority of the population has less than a dollar a day to spare, is not an easy reality to get used to and its certainly very difficult to digest. On the other hand, it is this reality that gives me more reason to be here, to understand the problems that these people are facing and to play a role in making a difference in their lives…..

Let me move on to the good part of the city: PEOPLE, Burkinabés are incredibly warm and friendly. They don`t have much (in material sense) but they know how to enjoy the little that they do have. They are very positive and I am saying this because the answer to every question that you may ask a Burikinabé is most likely Ya pas de problem! (not a problem!) And this is really the attitude that carries these people through the struggles that they face.
FOOD: To be honest I was abit concerned about the food before I got here. In fact, I was convinced that I won`t be able to have a salad for the next year or so. Guess what? I can have a salad every night if I want to. There is lots of fruits and vegetables. In restaurants you can find really good food, rice and sauce, grilled fish, couscous…. In the morning, you can have fresh baguettes and even peanut butter (the real organic kind!) There is also a special warmth to the city. Its very colourful. The Africans are very good with including lots of colors in what they wear. My favourite part of this liveliness is seeing woman with these elaborate and colourful dresses riding their motor bikes. The markets are also fantastic. There is all sorts of things in the market, from fabric to tomatoes to tables and chairs to cows and sheeps, which in my mind also adds to the liveliness of it all.

So this was a brief overview of what I think of Ouaga.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home